fstab

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Tue Feb 7 18:20:07 MST 2006

On Tue, 2006-02-07 at 16:58 -0800, bmike101 at cox.net wrote:
> I <supposedly> have my home directories on their own partiton..... but I wonder if that is so considering that I ran out of disk space last week. I'm going to share my ftab with you and ask you how I would know if it is going to the /dev/hda4 or just /mnt/hda4 (is the home partition being used?)
> One more thing.... how do i  get it to be used?
>
> /dev/hda2 / ext3 defaults,noatime 1 1
> /dev/hda4 /mnt/hda4 ext3 defaults,noatime 1 1
> /dev/sda1 swap swap sw,pri=1 0 0
> proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
> devpts /dev/pts devpts mode=0622 0 0
> none /proc/bus/usb usbdevfs defaults 0 0
> # Dynamic entries
> /dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1 vfat noauto,users,exec,umask=000 0 0
> /dev/hda3 /mnt/hda3 ext3 noauto,users,exec 0 0
>
> This is my understanding of this fstab:
> /dev/hda2 is being mounted to root
> /dev/hda4 is being mounted to /mnt/hda4
> /dev/sda1 is my swap drive
> I have no clue about the next two lines.
> I think the #Dynamic entries are just the directories which can be mounted on-the-fly.
>
> Is this understanding correct?
----
Since you don't use labels...there's no way for us to know
what /dev/hda4 mounted at /mnt/hda4 is...it may be your home
directory...it may not.

probably issuing...

ls -l /mnt/hda4
would give us a clue what that mount really is

might as well get a listing of /mnt/hda3 while you are at it...I have no
clue.

having a scsi type drive - /dev/sda1 as swap and the only partition on
the drive is an interesting choice...wonder what the rest of /dev/sda
has on it since nothing else from that drive shows up in your tables.

you might want to try...

fdisk -l /dev/sda

and see what it shows

Also as Darrin suggested...