Running PHP script from procmail: Error loading shared libraries

Bill Jonas bill at billjonas.com
Tue Feb 7 09:10:58 MST 2006

Hi all,

I'm trying to execute a PHP script from procmail, but I get the
following in my procmail log file:

-------
>From bill at billjonas.com  Mon Feb  6 21:53:36 2006
 Subject: test
  Folder: /path/to/m2f_import_msgs.sh                                      1474
/usr/local/bin/php: error while loading shared libraries: libmysqlclient.so.15: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
-------

This is from a package for phpBB called Mail2Forum; it basically helps
the web board also act like a mailing list.  I wasn't the one who set it
up, but I'm trying to get it running on a different host.  (The mail
messages were getting imported a different, messier way before.)

Here is the script itself (stripped of extraneous comments):

-------
#!/usr/local/bin/php -q
<?php
include('m2f_import_msgs.php');
?>
-------

And here's the .procmailrc:

-------
PATH=/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/bin/X11:/usr/games
LOGFILE=$HOME/tmp/procmail.log   #recommended

:0
* ^TO.*address at domain
|/path/to/m2f_import_msgs.sh
-------

I'd only set the path as part of troubleshooting.  Also,
libmysqlclient.so.15{,.0.0} is in /usr/lib, which ld.so(8) says is in
the default library search path (along with /lib).  I'd tried setting
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/, which helped for a bit (and it successfully
imported messages), but then it mysteriously broke again for no reason.
I had limited success by changing m2f_import_msgs.sh to this:

-------
#!/bin/bash

/usr/local/bin/php -q /path/to/m2f_import_msgs.php
-------

However, it was only successful one time before breaking again.

I can successfully run the script all day long from the command line.  I
can't seem to find any significant differences between the two
environments.  (TERMCAP, for example, is set in the interactive shell,
but that shouldn't make any difference, right?)  I also don't have root
access to this server as it's a shared host, but it's running Debian
sarge.  uname reports the kernel version as
"2.4.32-grsec+f6b+gr217+nfs+a32+fuse23+++686+c6+gr6b-v6.192", if that
helps.  :-)

Anyone have a cluebat?

--
Bill Jonas    *    bill at billjonas.com    *    http://www.billjonas.com/
"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your front door.  You step