should I be worried-> Progressing!

Major.Mikey bmike1 at mcleodusa.net
Sun Feb 5 21:47:32 MST 2006

okay, I got DHCP working.... kinda. It isn't being offered a lease and I don't
have a clue how to even google on this one.

This is how I got DHCP to work
I read in the debian manual (online) to make sure a line was
in /etc/network/interfaces. That line is

 iface eth0 inet dhcp

so I copy the line and put up top. That doesn't change anything so I spend the
rest of the  trying to get dhcp to work. Finally I figure I should
investigate ..../interfaces more closely and look at what I found at the
bottom of the script: (without the hash marks)

 #iface eth0 inet dhcp
 # address 10.10.10.2
 # netmask 255.0.0.0
 # network address.0
 # broadcast 10.255.255.255
 # gateway ...

.... so I copied that first line and put the hash marks in and the next time I
rebooted  dhcp tried to get a lease! I was so happy until the lease was
denied.

So please, tell me what I need to do no or point me in the right direction.

earlier today....

I got apt-get working again so I ran it for the desired dhcp tool. At the end
of the download it tells me that:

 This installation run will require temporarily removing the
 essential package e2fsprogs due to a Conflicts/Pre-Depends loop.
 This is often bad, but.....

I tried fixing it by running 'apt-get install e2fsprogs' but that resulted in
the same error........ ohhhhhhh! That is one of the files being updated so it
must be disabled. Cool.

How do I update apt.conf? I attempted to merely place the suggested line at
the end but that didn't help. I then moved that line to the middle but the
machine keeps telling  that I put 'Extra junk at end of file.

I get it.... I need the semi-colon at the end.

Okay.... it all installed noow I guess do the windows fix..... restart the
machine!

bmike1 at 4[Documents]$ sudo apt-get install dhcp3-client
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
  debianutils dhcp3-common dhcp3-server e2fslibs e2fsprogs initscripts libc6
libc6-dev locales
  lsb-base sysv-rc
Suggested packages:
  e2fsck-static sysv-rc-conf
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  raidtools2
  dhcp3-client lsb-base
The following packages will be upgraded
  debianutils dhcp3-common dhcp3-server e2fslibs e2fsprogs initscripts libc6
libc6-dev locales
  sysv-rc
10 upgraded, 2 newly installed, 1 to remove and 1093 not upgraded.
Need to get 0B/13.7MB of archives.
After unpacking 3852kB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
E: This installation run will require temporarily removing the essential
package e2fsprogs due to a Conflicts/Pre-Depends loop. This is often bad, but
if you really want to do it, activate the APT::Force-LoopBreak option.
E: Internal Error, Could not early remove e2fsprogs
bmike1 at 4[Documents]$