1st Phoenix BSD... MythTV

ben francom bfrancom at gmail.com
Sun Feb 5 21:28:25 MST 2006

On 2/5/06, Joshua Zeidner <jjzeidner at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Sean,
>
>   Thanks for the response.
>
>   What hardware problems are you having?  Are you using non-standard
> architecture( AMD, etc. )  Did you purchase the PVR-350 direct from the
> manufacturer?
>
>  thanks, josh
>

> On 2/5/06, sean <sean at emvis.net> wrote:
> >
> > I built a Ubuntu-based MythTV box with a PVR-350.  It's still a work in
> > progress and most of my bugs are hardware, so I'm not sure how
> > "complete" it is.
> >
> > ahh, the glory of building it yourself.
> >
> > --sean

> > mail.

> > > I've been using MythTV for over a year.  What did you want to know?
> > >
> > > -Leslie

I also be a MythTV User about a year.
Started on FC2 and have continually updated it.  I've reinstalled it about 7
times using Jared Wilson's howto, and once or twice on Debian.  I'm using an
HP Evo D510 CMT with a RIVA TNT 2 video card, Hauppauge PVR-250, and onboard
intel audio.
Problems I've had over this year:
Hardware:
*  Not a big enough hard drive (60 GB w/ a Windows install of 10GB.
Therefore, /video/store is only 40GB.  It is not a dedicated machine.  I use
it as my desktop pc too.
*  Not a fast enough machine for clients.  I tested running a client
mythfrontend, and it didn't work too well.  The Evo is a 1.7GHz P4:  Maybe
it was my client or 100mbps network, but I hooked up a client pc running
Debian, and it would skip frames, and the audio would get choppy.  I didn't
do much troubleshooting, since I didn't use the client much
*  Live TV wouldn't work at one point until I disconnected power supply for
30 seconds, then booted.
*  Difficult to setup 2 audio cards.  This was machine specific, not Myth. I
had the intel integrated and a SB Live card, and would have to alternate
headphone jacks when switching between mplayer-plugin, and mythtv.  So I
guess operator error.  I had edited the .conf file, but still couldn't get
it working exactly how I wanted.

Software:
*Sometimes unable to delete recordings, and Myth will freeze.  After a
reboot it works fine.  I think there may be a memory leak somewhere that may
or may not be Myth related.
*Hard to get a client pc connected to run mythfrontend, and run locally as
well.
*Trouble with audio capture on one or two installs.  I just reinstalled.

Those are some of the bugs that I remember.  It may sound like a lot, but in
all I think it is a great setup.  Some of the bugs may be due to my PC.  But
it is sweet with the commercial autoskip.  I think the best thing to have
would be >1TB of storage.  Once (if) Apple comes out with intel Mac Mini's,
I'll get one to be a frontend in my entertainment center.  Right now I just
run Myth on the HP in my den.
Sorry for the epistle.
-Ben