ifup

Major.Mikey bmike1 at mcleodusa.net
Sun Feb 5 08:43:09 MST 2006

Well,
 I tried ifup, and ifconfig but neither of the commands did anything except
return a 'error' message. -1-

 Here is another 'problem'. I have an ethernet port and USB prts. Whe the
modem is connected to the ethernet port the 'pc' light on the modem flickers;
but when it is connected to a USB port it is solid. I (in my INFINATE wisdom)
think it should remain solid. On the other hand my infinate wisdom is only
the size of an inch worm so I don't really know what I am talking about.

 As I was googling I heard about the 'pump' command but that doesn't help any
unless my use of it was incorrect. (it seems this is a redhat program)

After further googling it seems as if 'dhcp3-client' may help. (apt-get is my
friend) -2-

Am I just wasting my time with this present venture?

-1-

bmike1 at 2[bmike1]$ su
Password:
root at 2[bmike1]# ifup
ifup: Use --help for help
root at 2[bmike1]# ifup eth0
/etc/network/interfaces:34: duplicate interface
ifup: couldn't read interfaces file "/etc/network/interfaces"
root at 2[bmike1]# ifup /dev/eth0
/etc/network/interfaces:34: duplicate interface
ifup: couldn't read interfaces file "/etc/network/interfaces"
root at 2[bmike1]# ifconfig eth0
eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:08:C7:CA:62:4B
          BROADCAST MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:100
          RX bytes:0 (0.0 b)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)
          Interrupt:9 Base address:0xdc00 Memory:df100000-df100038

root at 2[bmike1]# ifconfig /dev/eth0
/dev/eth0: error fetching interface information: Device not found
root at 2[bmike1]# pump
failed to connect to localhost:bootpc: Network is unreachable
There might be another pump running!
pump eth0
Operation failed.
root at 2[bmike1]# pump eth0