session restarts @ login

stu wien33 at cox.net
Thu Feb 2 10:07:14 MST 2006

	I just wanted to add a comment on this, because the exact same thing happened
on one of my MEPIS boxes a few months ago. About two weeks before it
happened, the computer was noticeably slower downloading files, sometimes
stopping without finishing, and the hard drive ran at odd times for no good
reason. Evenually, I ran into the same problem of logging in under my
username, and the login screen would restart.
	Being a complete ignoramus when it comes to checking and editing scripts, I
attempted a "Brute Force" fix. Logging in as root, I created a newuser
profile, saved my /home/user files into /home/newuser, then simply deleted
the old user profile, and it seemed to work fine after that. It was the first
and only suspicious problem I've come across since I began running Linux two
years ago. Disturbingly Windows-like, but a LOT easier to recover from.
	I have no idea what caused it, but I've been exercising more caution opening
e-mails since then.