super long boot times (20+mins)

eric© ericlists at gmail.com
Sun Dec 31 19:38:59 MST 2006

I apologize to everyone for giving such limited info, I really should know
better as I work as a computer tech afterall.  I was just so tired by the
time I wrote that, nothing in my brain was working correctly :-P

Anyways, as far as the hardware goes, I'm fairly certain that the RAID
controller is onboard, altho this is my first foray into "real" servers, as
opposed to running server OS'es on a desktop.  The guy I got the machine
from said that there is 3 RAID controllers in the machine - one for the
CDROM drive, one for the 6 internal hot swap hard drives, and one for an
external RAID array that utilizes an expansion card with a wonderful rat's
nest of cabling </sarcasm>.  When I get home tonight, I plan on stripping
this thing down to the bare case to find out exactly what's installed and
where, as well as to get a better idea of how everything is set up.

I know there are two PCI dual port network cards installed, one port I
currently have set up as a static IP address (as are all the computers on my
network).  The other 3 I left at DHCP, altho I'll be disabling the other 3
tonight as I'm not currently using them.  I believe there is also a fibre
channel dual port card installed, altho i'm not positive that's what I'm
looking at (6 pin connector, slightly wider than an RJ45 jack).  I popped in
the card for the external RAID, but not currently utilizing it (figured it
was better than letting it sit on the desk, don't have an antistatic bag big
enough for it).

Windows in installed in the default directory, on the IDE drive.  There is
currently nothing on the internal RAID, other than having the partition
written.  Haven't even formatted it yet.  It is a clean install, done myself
last night.  The reason I don't have Linux on it right now, other than not
having a CD-ROM to install it from, is that I'm not yet familiar enough with
it.  I do have Debian on the other server, and I'm often finding it taking
hours to figure out how to do basic stuff.  I wanted to be able to start
utilizing this one right away.  It doesn't seem to be an issue with the IDE
hard drive, as anything to do with file copies does go quickly.

Eric