super long boot times (20+mins)

eric© ericlists at gmail.com
Sun Dec 31 03:55:08 MST 2006

I just picked up a quad Xeon server today.  Verified working operation
before I took it home.  It was running Windows Server 2003, and booted up
quite quickly.  The guy cleared the SCSI RAID configs, and handed it over.
I brought it home, and found the CD-ROM drive didn't want to release the
tray.  Didn't have any floppies on hand, so I just tossed my boot hard drive
in the machine and installed a copy of Windows Server 2003 to the IDE drive
(yes, I know this is a Linux list).  Would have preferred Debian on there,
but without a working CDROM, and no floppies......(I'm planning on stopping
by Fry's this weekend to pick up a new CD-ROM drive for it)

Anyways, the only thing I changed on the machine after getting it was
setting up the 6 SCSI drives as one big stripe, and made the IDE drive the
primary boot drive.  Took over 3 hours to install Windows, and takes well
over 20 mins just to boot now.  Doesn't appear to be an issue with the IDE
drive, as the majority of the time, there is no disc access.  Once I log in,
everything is quite snappy.  I also noticed that the file copies in setup
went by really quick.

Any ideas?

eric