Fwd: Linux RealPlayer

Trent Shipley trent_shipley at qwest.net
Thu Dec 28 19:44:40 MST 2006

(Second try in case list server only lets members post.)

RealPlayer (Helix for $) on SuSE 10.0 (need to upgrade to 10.2).

* I can play RealPlayer as root with no problem.  (Discovered during
installation.)

* As an unprivileged user RealPlayer opens but gives the error message
"Cannot open the audio device. Another application may be using it."

* Some audio works when a regular user.  KDE plays a theme when it opens or
closes an X session. The game FreeCiv plays sound.

The Helix page
https://player.helixcommunity.org/2004/unix/help/index.html
is not particularly helpful (although it did help me install the plugin for
Firefox).