dead monitor - - (free to good home?)

Mike Schwartz mike.l.schwartz at gmail.com
Wed Dec 27 18:09:10 MST 2006

If you are handly with fixing stuff, this might be repairable.
It is an "hp pavilion mx 75".
It was starting to take longer and longer to "wake up" after
the (windows xp) PC went in to some hibernation mode
(actually it is called "system standby").
My daughter said that the delay had gotten up to 10 minutes.
So I agreed to try her idea: that is, hook up the monitor directly
to the PC, bypassing the [erstwhile] KVM switch.  (I'd previously
installed the KVM switch so I could share that monitor [V] ]and
[K]eyboard & [M]ouse) with another PC, running Fedora Core).
This idea did not seem to solve anything.
In fact, it (the monitor) didn't work "at all", then!
I concluded that it was probably not anything inside the PC,
partly since installing a new monitor (19" LCD) (now on sale
at Circuit City 249.99 + tax) seemed to work OK.
But, that old monitor might be fixable.  I just do not have the
time / inclination (/ability) to mess with it. (+ "maybe", /tools)
It does include 2 speakers, that attach to the sides of the
monitor like Disney [Mickey] mouse ears.
If interested, please reply via [to] this list, "only if" there are
very few (say, < 5) other replies "already".
--
Mike Schwartz
Glendale  AZ
schwartz at acm.org