car stereo and ogg

Paul Dickson paul at permanentmail.com
Wed Dec 27 07:47:15 MST 2006

I used the VR3 and a Samsung Vorbis player.  The VR3 is something like:
  http://www.roadmasterusa.com/fmmod_vr3.php

I can play any portable device through my car's stereo.  And I can take
the device and listen with headphones elsewhere.  Personally, I'd prefer
a car stereo at allowed a mini-jack line-in.

The Samsung YEPP YP-C1 plays Vorbis files (I don't know why the packaging
marketing says OGG, since it only plays Ogg Vorbis files).  It looks just
like a USB thumb drive (it uses a USB to USB mini connector cable) to my
Linux machine.  If you can, try to avoid the YP-C1.  It firmware has bugs
when it attempts to create its own files.  Files written from Linux are
OK.  I've gotten about 19 hours of play from a standard alkaline battery
and 3 or 4 hours from a Lithium battery that my camera had finished
using.  I haven't tracked the duration of a new AA lithium battery.

	-Paul