sleepy monitor??

Paul Dickson paul at permanentmail.com
Wed Dec 27 07:20:41 MST 2006

On Fri, 3 Nov 2006 16:59:05 -0800 (PST), keith smith wrote:

> Hi Everyone,
>
> I installed Fedora Core 5 on my AMD500 / 384M Ram machine.  All is well or has been well.  Today the screen goes blank after a few minutes on non use.  If I hit a key or move the mouse it does not wake up.
>
> I shelled in and was able to do stuff like restart httpd and mysqld .....
>
> I did a reboot from an ssh connection and the monitor stats to display after the boot.
>
> Does not seem to be bothering anything since I have a Samba connection and and ssh connection both and have been working this way for 4 or 5 hours how.
>
> Any advice on what it could be?

Try this script (which I call "blank"):

  #!/bin/sh
  sleep 2
  xset dpms force suspend

It will blank the screen.  If you can then press a key or move the mouse
and it unblanks, then your version of X isn't in sync with the blanking
function (X won't unblank if it doesn't think it's blanked).  I have used
this script to unblank the screen (the last time for me was from a resume
from hiberation, but that was many months ago).

What you will do is have a workspace with an xterminal window open.  When
the screen blanks (and won't unblank with user input), used the keyboard
to move to this workspace (Ctrl-Alt-arrows) and run the script.  This
will then synchronized X to know that the screen is blanked.  Then create
user input to unblank the screen.

I suggest you either "yum update xorg\*" or upgrade to FC6 if possible.
FC6 has a newer version of xorg-x11.

	-Paul