car stereo and ogg

der.hans PLUGd at LuftHans.com
Mon Dec 25 16:48:32 MST 2006

moin moin,

I've been looking for a car stereo that plays ogg for my $gf for a long
time. Mostly, I haven't been all that serious, but in the last couple of
month I decided it was time to finally replace the borken unit she has.

I started with the list from xiph.

http://wiki.xiph.org/index.php/StaticPlayers#Car_Audio

Doesn't look too promising. I searched for several of them online, but was
unable to find them available.

I finally broke down and went to a couple of stores. I found nothing that
mentioned ogg, vorbis or flac. Hadn't expected to.

Found no one that had heard of them either. Hadn't expected to. One of the
sales guys at a Best Buy suggested I bring in a CD and try it.

Finally got a chance a few days ago. I went equipped with a CD of ogg I've
burned ( and it turns out I also got some mp3s off a podcast I grab ), a
USB thumb drive with ogg from a local band ( www.TravelerMusic.com ) and
an SD card with a mix of ogg and mp3.

Haven't used CF for so long I didn't have any with me.

I walked into another Best Buy and after getting permission from the sales
guy I started sticking my devices into decks they had up for display. As
it turned out the 3 I tried all worked. Well, for some value of worked.

All 3 had USB ports. First I tried the less expensive of the two JVC units
with USB ports. Stuck the thumb drive in and Traveler came up, no
problems. I was amazed.

Next I tried a pioneer, I think. It also worked. Finally I tried an
insignia ( turns out this is the Best Buy in house brand ). That also
worked.

I tried the CD in all three. The Insigna model played off off the CD just
fine. The other two only played the mp3s :(. The Insignia also has an SD
slot. off played from that as well. I was sold.

Insignia's NS-C5111 CD Car deck

http://www.insignia-products.com/pc-127-16-insignia-40w-x-4-ipod-ready-cd-deck-with-cd-rrwmp3wma-playback.aspx

Best Buy also offers a 4 year replacement warrantee for $20. $gf now has a
car stereo that's warranteed to play ogg for 4 years. At that point either
ogg support will be easy to get or it'll be irrelevant.

She's overjoyed about the new stereo and happy that she'll be able to
create her own mobile collections because she knows how to use thumb
drives and SD cards.

It looked like all 3 were picking up the tags from the files. I'll test
the Insignia more once we have it installed.

ciao,

der.hans
#  Join the League of Professional System Administrators  https://LOPSA.org/
#  Passwords are like underwear. You don't share them, you don't hang them on
#  your monitor, or under your keyboard, you don't email them, or put them on
#  a web site, and you must change them very often. -- Unknown