Which Distro for TV Server

chip33az at netscape.net chip33az at netscape.net
Sat Dec 23 08:40:44 MST 2006

Depending on how my testing goes over the next couple of days, I might
jump ship and purchase/install SageTV.  I have a Debian server that I
set up a few years ago and would like to reinstall the OS and put SageTV
on it.

Right now, I just don't know if I should stick with Debian (etch) or
install Ubuntu (Edgy).

I like Debian, but with the testing tree there are lots of packages that
get updated daily.  Not that I have to update them, but still would like
to keep it current.  The speed on Debian seems greater than Ubuntu as well.

Ubuntu has the momentum with it and there are lots of documentation out
there for it.  The six month release cycle is good as it wouldn't get
that many updates.

Of course, I would like to keep my server and desktops at the same
software to make upgrading easier.

Not to start a distro war, but any suggestions?