sox runs a long time?

Joseph Sinclair plug-discussion at stcaz.net
Fri Dec 22 22:30:21 MST 2006

sox shouldn't take more than a couple of minutes on any reasonable CPU to transform a 4MB OGG/Vorbis file to MP3.  If it runs more than a few minutes it's almost certainly hung and should be killed.  There are still a LOT of bugs in sox, so it's not unusual to have it choke on a file now and then.  The problem is, when it chokes on a file, it often continues to choke on that same file repeatedly, using a different tool often becomes necessary at that point.