Mail question

Jeremy C. Reed reed at reedmedia.net
Thu Dec 21 06:57:35 MST 2006

On Thu, 21 Dec 2006, Shawn Badger wrote:

> Oh ya, I would like to do this without setting up a local DNS with that
> domains MX record in it..
>
> On 12/21/06, Shawn Badger <badger.shawn at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > I need some help on try to figure this one out. I have a server that sets
> > off in a DMZ and this servers job is to send alerts out as needed via SMTP.
> > This works fine for sending email outside the building, but for addresses
> > that resolve back into the building I am prohibited from send it out only to
> > come right back in. To solve this problem I need to some how put a MX record
> > in the hosts file or configure the e-mail system on the box to forward just
> > that domain to an internal relay server.
> >
> > BTW, I am using Postfix to send the e-mail out and no incoming e-mail is
> > allowed.

Look at postconf(5) for "transport_maps".

Look at transport(5) for EXAMPLES.

Set it in your main.cf something like:

And then create your /etc/postfix/transport like:

your.domain	smtp:[your.mail.server]

The [brackets] means don't do MX lookup.

Then do: postmap hash:/etc/postfix/transport
and: "postfix stop" and then "postfix start".