Debian WAS KDE based live cd

Empty plug at emptiedout.com
Wed Dec 20 23:42:48 MST 2006

JT Moree wrote:
> USB sticks and automatically showing up when plugged in:  I haven't used
> etch so I don't know how much progress has been made on this front
> lately but most other distros setup hotplug and udev to make this work a
> long time ago.  (Has Debian even moved to udev yet?  They had just
> gotten devfs into the installer 2 yrs ago when the kernel developers
> deprecated it.)

Well, no, which is problematical.

> Let me re-affirm, Debian is in the right to work this way.  I'm not
> against it.  Debian does not install and configure a ton of extra stuff
> because as a developer I want to pick and choose what gets installed.
> Have anyone done a minimal install of Fedora lately?  It weighs in at
> over 800M on FC5.  A miminal Debian install is something like 50M.

Right... I object to it being called "for developers" though. I'd say
it's for "developers and admins and technical people who don't mind
tweaking but NEED stability". I have *never* had an apt-get upgrade
break a critical package or service, except in the cases where I had
hacked something up or done something nonstandard... and even then only
when I had ignored/been ignorant of the right way to do it.

> I can come up with all sorts of reasons for why I think Debian is for
> developers and end users should start with another distro but these are
> all just my opinion.  Everyone should use what works for them.

I agree that it makes for a crappy desktop. I run Ubuntu on my laptop,
and Debian on the dozens of servers I manage.

~Empty
--
---
"Confession only helps if you actually feel bad for your actions.