Looking for a Name Resolution solution

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Wed Dec 20 06:10:57 MST 2006

On Tue, 2006-12-19 at 22:26 -0700, Dazed_75 wrote:

> On 12/19/06, JT Moree <moreejt at pcxperience.com> wrote:
>
>         Dazed_75 wrote:
>         > Please do not tell me about routers which support DDNS which
>         is
>         > something else entirely. At least my understanding is that
>         DDNS is
>         > solely for making my LAN resident servers available on the
>         internet
>         > despite have only dynamic IP[s] issued by my ISP.
>
>         You are half right.  Dynamic DNS is used for updating a DNS
>         server to
>         have the correct IP for a specific host.  This can be done by
>         sites like
>         dyndns.org etc.  You don't need a router that supports that.
>
> Exactly why I said not to mention it.  Perhaps I said it poorly.
> Basicly I don't really care about a router that supports DDNS (in
> fact, mine does).
>

>         But you DO need DDNS on a local level.  It's the same
>         thing.  client
>         machine tells dns server 'this is my new ip'.
>
> Unfortunately that assumes a running DNS server on the LAN unless the
> router were to have the functionality I described.  People have told
> me it exists but I have not found one.  I have to admit I do not know
> if the WRT54 type software for the Linksys xxxxGL modem would have it.
> Their docs confused me.
>

>         Unfortunately I can't give you particular software suggestions
>         but I had
>         my guys do it with thin clients over 5 years ago.  I think we
>         had the
>         thin clients run a script after getting an IP that talked to a
>         daemon on
>         the DNS server to update the records.
>
>         Our solution was home grown but I've seen the same thing
>         mentioned with
>         the moniker DDNS on the net more recently.  There may be some
>         DDNS
>         features in the major DNS servers in use like bind, djbdns,
>         etc.
>
> Unfortunately they violate the criteria of no guarantee that any one
> of the computers is always turned on.  And this seems crucial to me
> for all those home and small office users who really have no crying
> need for a server machine.  This used to be rare, but is becoming more
> common every day.
>
> I have thought about putting one in at my house but mostly as another
> toy to play with.  The best real use I might have would be to act as
> NAS for backups.  Too many toy projects for this old man.
----
I vaguely recall that you are using a Red Hat/Fedora type of system and the easiest best information for that would probably be found here...

http://www.brennan.id.au/

I don't ever recommend djb stuff - using ISC's bind/dhcpd servers and
having dhcp clients register their names with dns is actually quite
simple.

Appliance devices that provide dhcp and dns are never going to work...
1 - they don't provide dns, they provide proxy services to isp's dns
2 - they don't offer anything beyond the most basic dhcp service...an ip
address, gateway/router address and dns information
3 - they have very short leases and ip address leases do not 'stick' and
ip addresses will frequently jump around.

Craig