net neutrality commercials?

Jim arizona.anorak at gmail.com
Tue Dec 19 00:13:17 MST 2006

Agreed Dan.  South Korea is much smaller than the U.S.  Less fiber is
needed to provide access to all it's people.

Let's look at it this way.  You've got a high rise apartment building
with a thousand people in it.  Also you've got a thousand people in
single family homes equally distributed across a thousand  square miles.

Which instance will require more fiber to bring broadband to everyone in
that group?  Which group will have more customers per mile?  Which group
will be more profitable for the company that owns the fiber?

In the late 19th and early 20th centuries; people in high population
density areas got electricity first.  People in rural areas got
electricity last.  Out in the boonies somewhere, the power company might
have one customer on a mile of wire.  In the big city, they might have a
few hundred customers on a mile of wire.

The same goes for the phone company.  I used to live in a rural area
about 40 miles from the phone company switching office.  The phone
company had to lay and maintain 40 miles of cable for maybe 100
customers.  They can serve a helluva lot more customers in Phoenix with
40 miles of cable.

The same principle applies to cable tv.