why this huge 2.6 gig file in .xsession-errors

Josef Lowder joe at actionline.com
Mon Dec 18 10:04:35 MST 2006

.
I've just discovered this file .xsession-errors on my
system is accumulating an enormous collection of repetitive
error reports with no dates or times indicated for each set
of entries.

I've recapped some of the entries below in the hope that
someone can help me understand what is causing this problem
and how to fix it.

First, here is a directory list that shows 2.6 gig of data
at 8:12 this morning and then just seconds later (with no
programs running) it has increased another 1300 bytes. Huh?

-rw-------  1 joe joe 2652572950 Dec 18 08:12 .xsession-errors
-rw-------  1 joe joe 2652574279 Dec 18 08:44 .xsession-errors

I discovered this problem as I was about to burn a DVD backup
of my home directory and 'du' indicated that I had 5.8 gig of
data which would not fit on a dvd.  This was strange because
I have always been able to fit all of my home directory data
comfortably on one dvd with lots of room to spare.

I did this: tail .xsession-errors | sort -u > xsess.errs
to get the following:

error: failed to stat 2
kdecore (KAction): WARNING: KAction::plugAccel(): call to deprecated action.
  Major opcode:  143
  Major opcode:  2
  Major opcode:  20
  Minor opcode:  0
  Minor opcode:  1
QMultiInputContext::changeInputMethod(): index=0, slave=xim
  Resource id:  0x320000d
  Resource id:  0x3200037
  Resource id:  0x3204d48
  Resource id:  0x320a30f
  Resource id:  0x3213634
  Resource id:  0x340000a
  Resource id:  0x340067b
  Resource id:  0x3405d83
  Resource id:  0x360104c
  Resource id:  0x3a00007
  Resource id:  0x3a00248
  Resource id:  0x3c00007
  Resource id:  0x3c007e6
  Resource id:  0x3c01901
  Resource id:  0x3c085a2
  Resource id:  0x3c08f19
  Resource id:  0x3c0b54c
  Resource id:  0x4200007
  Resource id:  0xe00144
Warning: more than one line!
X Error: BadAccess (attempt to access private resource denied) 10
X Error: BadLength (poly request too large or internal Xlib length error) 16
X Error: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter) 3

Then I rebooted the system and noticed that the .xsession-errors
files was drastically reduced in size to this:

after reboot:  166086  913541 5942462 .xsession-errors
seconds later: 166087  913544 5942522 .xsession-errors

Then I did this: tail -100 .xsession-errors and got this:

    Directory does not exist or has wrong permissions
    Directory missing fonts.dir
    Incorrect font server address or syntax
Invalid entry (missing '=') at /home/joe/.kde/share/apps/ksplash/Themes/Ford
GT 40/Theme.rc:19
kbuildsycoca running...
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'gstreamer_part.desktop' specifies undefined
mimetype/servicetype 'audio/x-mpeg'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'gstreamer_part.desktop' specifies undefined
mimetype/servicetype 'audio/x-ogg'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'gstreamer_part.desktop' specifies undefined
mimetype/servicetype 'KMediaPart'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'gstreamer_part.desktop' specifies undefined
mimetype/servicetype 'video/x-avi'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING:
'/home/joe/.local/share/applications/Mandrakelinux/Internet/WebBrowsers/Mozilla
Firefox.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'text/mml'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING:
'/home/joe/.local/share/applications/Mandrakelinux/Multimedia/Graphics/kuickshow.desktop'
specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'image/x-eim'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING:
'/home/joe/.local/share/applications/Mandrakelinux/Multimedia/Graphics/The
GIMP v2.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'image/bmp'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING:
'/home/joe/.local/share/applications/Mandrakelinux/Multimedia/Graphics/The
GIMP v2.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'image/fits'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING:
'/home/joe/.local/share/applications/Mandrakelinux/Multimedia/Graphics/The
GIMP v2.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'image/pcx'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING:
'/home/joe/.local/share/applications/Mandrakelinux/Multimedia/Graphics/The
GIMP v2.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'image/pix'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING:
'/home/joe/.local/share/applications/Mandrakelinux/Multimedia/Graphics/The
GIMP v2.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'image/pnm'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING:
'/home/joe/.local/share/applications/Mandrakelinux/Multimedia/Sound/amarok.desktop'
specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'audio/x-sid'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING:
'/home/joe/.local/share/applications/Mandrakelinux/Multimedia/Video/kaffeine.desktop'
specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'application/x-mplayer2'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING:
'/home/joe/.local/share/applications/Mandrakelinux/Multimedia/Video/kaffeine.desktop'
specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'audio/x-mpeg'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING:
'/home/joe/.local/share/applications/Mandrakelinux/Multimedia/Video/kaffeine.desktop'
specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'audio/x-ogg'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING:
'/home/joe/.local/share/applications/Mandrakelinux/Multimedia/Video/kaffeine.desktop'
specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'audio/x-pn-realaudio-plugin'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING:
'/home/joe/.local/share/applications/Mandrakelinux/Multimedia/Video/kaffeine.desktop'
specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'video/msvideo'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING:
'/home/joe/.local/share/applications/Mandrakelinux/Multimedia/Video/kaffeine.desktop'
specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'video/x-avi'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING:
'/home/joe/.local/share/applications/Mandrakelinux/Office/Drawing/OpenOffice.org
Draw.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype
'application/vnd.stardivision.draw.template'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING:
'/home/joe/.local/share/applications/Mandrakelinux/Office/Presentations/OpenOffice.org
Impress.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype
'application/vnd.ms-powerpoint'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING:
'/home/joe/.local/share/applications/Mandrakelinux/Office/Presentations/OpenOffice.org
Impress.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype
'application/vnd.stardivision.impress.template'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING:
'/home/joe/.local/share/applications/Mandrakelinux/Office/Publishing/Xpdf.desktop'
specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'application/x-pdf'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING:
'/home/joe/.local/share/applications/Mandrakelinux/Office/Publishing/Xpdf.desktop'
specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'text/pdf'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING:
'/home/joe/.local/share/applications/Mandrakelinux/Office/Publishing/Xpdf.desktop'
specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'text/x-pdf'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING:
'/home/joe/.local/share/applications/Mandrakelinux/Office/Spreadsheets/OpenOffice.org
Calc.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype
'application/vnd.stardivision.calc.template'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING:
'/home/joe/.local/share/applications/Mandrakelinux/Office/Wordprocessors/OpenOffice.org
Writer.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype
'application/vnd.stardivision.writer.template'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING:
'/home/joe/.local/share/applications/Mandrakelinux/Office/Wordprocessors/OpenOffice.org
Writer.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'application/x-doc'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'kaffeine_part.desktop' specifies undefined
mimetype/servicetype 'application/x-mplayer2'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'kaffeine_part.desktop' specifies undefined
mimetype/servicetype 'audio/x-mpeg'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'kaffeine_part.desktop' specifies undefined
mimetype/servicetype 'audio/x-ogg'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'kaffeine_part.desktop' specifies undefined
mimetype/servicetype 'audio/x-pn-realaudio-plugin'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'kaffeine_part.desktop' specifies undefined
mimetype/servicetype 'KMediaPart'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'kaffeine_part.desktop' specifies undefined
mimetype/servicetype 'video/msvideo'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'kaffeine_part.desktop' specifies undefined
mimetype/servicetype 'video/x-avi'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'katepart.desktop' specifies undefined
mimetype/servicetype 'text/x-fortran'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'kcertpart.desktop' specifies undefined
mimetype/servicetype 'application/binary-certificate'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'klinkstatus_part.desktop' specifies undefined
mimetype/servicetype 'text/english'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'klinkstatus_part.desktop' specifies undefined
mimetype/servicetype 'text/x-c'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'klinkstatus_part.desktop' specifies undefined
mimetype/servicetype 'text/x-c++'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'kmilo/kmilo_thinkpad.desktop' specifies undefined
mimetype/servicetype 'KMilo Plugin'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'knotify.desktop' specifies undefined
mimetype/servicetype 'KNotify'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'kxsldbg_part.desktop' specifies undefined
mimetype/servicetype 'text/english'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'kxsldbg_part.desktop' specifies undefined
mimetype/servicetype 'text/x-c'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'kxsldbg_part.desktop' specifies undefined
mimetype/servicetype 'text/x-c++'
  Major opcode:  143
  Major opcode:  2
  Minor opcode:  0
  Minor opcode:  1
QMultiInputContext::changeInputMethod(): index=0, slave=xim
  Resource id:  0x280000a
  Resource id:  0x80000d
Reusing existing ksycoca
startkde: Starting up...
X Error: BadAccess (attempt to access private resource denied) 10
X Error: BadLength (poly request too large or internal Xlib length error) 16
xset:  bad font path element (#63), possible causes are:
$ tail -20 .xsess*
  Minor opcode:  1
  Resource id:  0x280000a