VMware Workstation vs. Server

Kurt Granroth plug-discuss at granroth.org
Thu Dec 14 20:38:05 MST 2006

Yes.  This is far from a rare problem, it seems.  A quick search on the
vmware forums shows scores of threads with people complaining about
exactly this.  Here's a representative thread:

http://www.vmware.com/community/thread.jspa?messageID=473120&#473120

And a choice quote:

"Vmware server is ruining my life here. This time sync issue is a
freakin disaster. I sold my boss on this technology and now after a lot
of time migrating and money dumped into hardware it's all going to hell
in a handbasket."

I wouldn't go that far since my use of it doesn't require that the clock
be in perfect sync (it just can't run fast... which is does every now
and then).  A co-worker was running some time-sensitive servers on his
systems, though, and this wreaked havoc for him.  He tried all of the
usual tricks but none helped.  So he had to go back to physical servers.