VMware Workstation vs. Server

Kurt Granroth plug-discuss at granroth.org
Thu Dec 14 10:56:54 MST 2006

On Thursday 14 December 2006 08:12, Nathan Aubrey wrote:
> On Thursday 14 December 2006 06:41, Kurt Granroth wrote:
> > 2. Server and Player may have serious time-loss problems with Windows
> > guest OS on a Linux host yet VMWare (the company) has never officially
> > addressed this issue much less fixed it.  There are some workarounds
> > posted in the forums but none of them have worked for me yet.
>
> Kurt,
>
> set windows to update it's time settings over the internet, like ntp.
> That's the best fix I've found. Right click the clock, click on Adjust
> Date/Time, click on Internet Time, select the check box and hit ok.
>
> Of course, this is all moot if you are not on the 'net.
> This is an XP deal as well, may not work on others...

Unfortunately, that hasn't worked at all in my experience.  The problem I run
into is that the time changes too fast and any reasonable NTP client (whether
the Windows built-in client or 3rd party) will refuse to adjust the time that
much, each time it updates.  So I can get the time to re-sync each time I
resume from a suspended session and when I do it manually every so often, but
it won't update automatically.

It irks me quite a bit that there even has to be "workarounds" for this.  This
is something that VMWare needs to just fix for real, once and for all.