DSL

Jim arizona.anorak at gmail.com
Thu Dec 14 03:30:29 MST 2006

Trent Shipley wrote:
> It is past time to insult my wallet with high speed internet.
>
> After the recent thread on Qwest I am planning to go with Qwest DSL.

Your email address says you have some dealings with Deru.  From what
I've heard, they're good people to deal with.  I would suggest keeping
them as your ISP while using Qwest to provide the DSL connection.

> 0.  Is Qwest non-hostile to Linux?  Some ISPs (e.g. AOL, Earthlink) think
> Linux isn't worth having.  They want to save support costs by having everyone
> use pre-packaged internet software--good luck finding parameters to access
> their services yourself.

Currently I have Qwest as my ISP as well as providing the DSL service.
They sent me an actiontec DSL router.  I access it via a web browser.
So it doesn't matter if I use a Linux or Windows box.  By default the
router I got from (Actiontec GT701 WG) them assigns IP addresses via
DHCP.  For me it was a simple matter of configuring eth0 on the linux
box to use DHCP.  With a few mouse clicks I made sure the wireless part
was turned off since I don't have any wireless bits on my network. It
also includes a firewall which is also controlled via a web browser.

It was easy.  Setup took only a few minutes.