DSL

keith smith klsmith2020 at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 12 19:57:01 MST 2006

Depending on which "modem" router they provide or you provide, you may have a number of options.

You may be able to configure a private network where your public IP is your gateway and your DNS.

I had the ActionTec and the Cisco 678.  The Cisco was much better allowing port forwarding, and private dynamic or static private IP's.

I would suspect they are doing the same today.

I don't know suse so not sure what exactly you will need to configure.  If you are going static I'm thinking all you need is ifconfig.  If dynamic you will need a dhcp client.

Would suggest you configure your "modem" router to provide a private IP on your side of the router and let the router be the only thing visible via the public IP.

Keith

"Jon M. Hanson" <jon at the-hansons-az.net> wrote: Trent Shipley wrote:
> If I subscribe to Qwest DSL as my ISP what will be involved in getting it
> working with my SUSE 10.1 box?

    Unless you're getting a static IP address (not usually given unless
you request it or you're getting business class service) you just need
to set your external Ethernet card to get its address with DHCP.

--
Jon M. Hanson (N7ZVJ)
Homepage:  http://the-hansons-az.net
Jabber IM: jon at the-hansons-az.net