Is Top "Real-Time"?

Dan Lund situationalawareness at gmail.com
Mon Dec 11 20:57:28 MST 2006

sa & sar are totally different statistic generators.
They can't be compared to top any more than mrtg can be compared to ifconfig.
The jist is that real time means that it displays exactly what is
going on in the kernel process list at every given change.  I don't
think anything can ever do that and still able to be comprehended in a
decent amount of time.

--Dan

On 12/11/06, George Toft <george at georgetoft.com> wrote:
> My $0.02: You are picking nits.
>
> Compared to sa & sar, top is almost instant.
>
> George Toft, CISSP, MSIS
> 623-203-1760
>

> Matt Nesteruk wrote:
> > In my post to bmike i stated that "top is not Real-Time".
> >
> > Edward Norton has brought to my attention that the Top man page states:
> > "The *top* program provides a dynamic real-time view of a running system.
> > It can display *system* summary information as well as a list  of  *tasks*
> > currently being managed by the Linux kernel."
> >
> > The reason i say top is not "Real-Time" can bee seen as the program
> > runs.  The clock in the upper right corner is delayed.
> >
> > Edward argued that by applying the "-d 1" argument that the clock would
> > update every 1 second.
> >
> > This is better, but it is still not "Real-Time".  Page re-generation is
> > biased on a delay clock, not changes in the system tasks.
> >
> > Thoughts?
> >
> > -Matt

"Courage is like love; it must have hope to nourish it."
-Napoleon Bonaparte