Is Top "Real-Time"?

Matt Nesteruk matt.nesteruk at gmail.com
Mon Dec 11 18:20:37 MST 2006

In my post to bmike i stated that "top is not Real-Time".

Edward Norton has brought to my attention that the Top man page states:
"The *top* program provides a dynamic real-time view of a running system.
It can display *system* summary information as well as a list  of  *tasks*
currently being managed by the Linux kernel."

The reason i say top is not "Real-Time" can bee seen as the program runs.
The clock in the upper right corner is delayed.

Edward argued that by applying the "-d 1" argument that the clock would
update every 1 second.

This is better, but it is still not "Real-Time".  Page re-generation is
biased on a delay clock, not changes in the system tasks.

Thoughts?

-Matt