Installfest question

der.hans PLUGd at LuftHans.com
Fri Dec 8 12:04:15 MST 2006

Am 08. Dec, 2006 schwätzte Miles Beck so:

> I'm having a problem getting any Linux distribution to work with a
> graphical desktop on my system. When the X server tries to start up I
> get a black screen displayed with some video artifacts. I've tried the
> Gentoo 2006.1 live CD, several versions of Ubuntu and I recently
> installed Debian. None of them for some reason are able to bring up
> the graphical desktop.
>
> I think it is due to my video card which is an ATI Radeon X850 Pro. If
> I bring my system to the installfest tomorrow do you think this could
> be resolved?
>
> At this point I don't really care which distro I use I just want
> something that will work as a desktop. I prefer the Debian philosophy
> but it may be easier to use something like Ubuntu.

Ubuntu's based on debian, so that works :).

Have you tried:

X -configure

That'll create a sample X config file for you and tell you how to use it.

If that doesn't work, try using what's on the system or what X -configure
builds, but change it to try the vesa and the svga drivers.

The system config file is in /etc/X11. It's either XF86Config-4 or
xorg.conf.

Ubuntu and gentoo should be using xorg.conf, I think.

ciao,

der.hans
#  Join the League of Professional System Administrators  https://LOPSA.org/
#  Help Jerry Lewis stamp out M$...oops that's MDA - der.hans