Cost of running KDE apps with Gnome

Dazed_75 lthielster at gmail.com
Tue Dec 5 20:28:37 MST 2006

Wow - someone give Kurt a star.  Thank you for those direct answers,

Yes, I knew I was not really having a performance hit though.  The question
probably have been clarified to say that if I ever have a resource issue,
how big a target is the running of KDE apps under gnome.  Not exactly an
immediate consern.

On 12/5/06, Kurt Granroth <plug-discuss at granroth.org> wrote:

> Dazed_75 wrote:
> > 1) Might I lose any functionality running the KDE apps under Gnome?
>
> Not really.  Quite a bit of the inter-application communication issues
> have been worked out.  There will be some UI differences and depending
> on your configuration, you may also lose some associations.  For
> instance, if you have Gnome configured to use, say, Firefox for web
> links but KDE is configured to use Konqueror, then when you click on a
> link in a KDE app, it'll pop up Konqueror, not Firefox.  Some (most?)
> distributions may have workarounds for this where they set the default
> associations for both environments to the same.
>
> That's pretty minor, though.
>
> > 2) Are there definitive caveats or known problems doing so (or a list
> > somewhere)?
>
> Nope.
>
> > 3) Is there any way to get an idea of how badly resources are being
> wasted?
>
> Does it matter to you?  If you don't notice any performance hit, then
> you could make the argument that none of the resources are being wasted.
> Really, the only time when things like that matter is if you have an
> older or underpowered system where memory, CPU, and disk resources are
> tight.
>
> > > Specific example: Comparing AmaroK to Sound Juicer is like comparing a
> > 67 Corvette to a Model T.  But when I was looking through preferences I
> > got a report that there had been an error running/accessing/??? aRTs
> > (sic) for AmaroK.  I ended up turning it aff and I can't even find out
> > what it is.
>
> Amarok doesn't do any sound processing itself.  Instead, it uses
> whatever the underlying sound system is on the computer.  I believe most
> distributions have it configured to use xine-lib or maybe gstreamer.
> Arts was the KDE sound system for KDE2 and sorta for KDE3.  I don't know
> that it's really configured on any distro anymore, though.  It
> definitely won't be part of KDE4.
>
> All that to say that if Amarok works for you, then you can safely turn
> off that error message.
>
> Kurt

and those who matter don't mind.  - Dr. Seuss