Cost of running KDE apps with Gnome

Nathan England nathan at paysonlinux.org
Tue Dec 5 17:03:24 MST 2006

> Yup, the error was that arts was not present (though not clear from the
> message).  There was an option to not use it which I then checked.  Thing
> was that I could not tell anything about what I was telling it not to use.
> A web search was not forthcoming with info either. Most references just
> said it was the arts engine for AmaroK which is a totally useless
> description.  I did find one reference that seemed to say it was an add-on
> to AmaroK to support sound as if it could have no sound without it (clearly
> false since I have sound without it).

I didn't think about the sound engine in that respect, you're right. it could
just be using the xine engine or the gstreamer engine....or probably many
others.

> 1) You wont lose much functionality, if any.
>
> > 2) Not really, freedesktop is working towards moving freely between
> > desktops.
>
> I had heard that and hope they get it done.  "Duping" all those libraries
> is pretty silly (yes I know they aren't really dupes).

I don't believe they are duplicating libraries, but rather working so that
cut/paste and mime types work together. So if I'm using kmail and I open a
link in a message it will open my default web browser, whether I happen to be
in KDE or Gnome...

> 3) gtop, mem

gtop is a gnome front end to top. mem is a command line tool, possible just
not installed.

nathan