Cost of running KDE apps with Gnome

Nathan England nathan at paysonlinux.org
Tue Dec 5 16:28:49 MST 2006

> > > report that there had been an error running/accessing/??? aRTs (sic)
> > > for AmaroK.  I ended up turning it aff and I can't even find out what
> > > it is.

You mentioned an error, so I was telling you how to deal with the error. You
got it because arts is not installed, or does not have all the dependencies.
Though you don't have 'KDE' installed, you may have many parts of it. Likely
kdelibs and kdebase, or parts of them anyway if you are running amarok. As
well as parts of kdenetwork. Having 'KDE' installed is much like
having 'Gnome' installed. There are many big parts and you can have some
small parts, but not the whole installed. You may not have the desktop
environment, but I bet if you have amarok installed, you probably have a few
other kde apps you don't realize.

1) You wont lose much functionality, if any.
2) Not really, freedesktop is working towards moving freely between desktops.
3) gtop, mem

nathan

> I do not have KDE installed, I do not have arts or kcontrol on the machine.
> I am not experiencing any problems that I amaware of.  I am simply asking
> the questions in a search for knowledge.

PaysonLinux User Group
Community Based Linux Support
http://www.paysonlinux.org/

Business Consulting Services,
Advanced Network and Server Design,
Security Solutions,
Process Management and Efficiency Consultations

      _   _____   ______  ___   ___   ______
     | | | ____| / _____| | |   | |  / _____|
  _  | | |  ___| \____  \ | |   | |  \____  \
  \___/  |_____| |_____/  |_______|  |_____/

That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus,
and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him
from the dead, thou shalt be saved.
          < Romans 10:9 KJV >