Cost of running KDE apps with Gnome

Nathan England nathan at paysonlinux.org
Tue Dec 5 15:55:02 MST 2006

On Tuesday 05 December 2006 15:34, Dazed_75 wrote:
> I prefer Gnome to KDE generally, but there are some KDE apps that are
> really nice so I install and run them on my gnome desktop.  I know that
> means some library duplication and probably various kinds of overhead,  But
> that is the extent of my knowledge.  I don't see any obvious negatives so
> far though this is a 3.0 GHz P4 with HT on 1 GB ram so should have plenty
> of horsepower for such things.  But ...
>
> 1) Might I lose any functionality running the KDE apps under Gnome?
> 2) Are there definitive caveats or known problems doing so (or a list
> somewhere)?
> 3) Is there any way to get an idea of how badly resources are being wasted?
>
> Specific example: Comparing AmaroK to Sound Juicer is like comparing a 67
> Corvette to a Model T.  But when I was looking through preferences I got a
> report that there had been an error running/accessing/??? aRTs (sic) for
> AmaroK.  I ended up turning it aff and I can't even find out what it is.

First off, run kcontrol and go into the sound setup, disable arts use. Setup
an external player and give it mplayer as the command. This makes many things
a bit quicker.

The other thing I would do is disable HT, as you will be using a LOT of memory
for both desktop libraries, and in my experiences, when you are using a lot
of memory, HT will slow it down.

I hate Gnome with a passion, but I hate arts even more! mplayer as the
external command allows all my normal KDE sounds to work great.

nathan

PaysonLinux User Group
Community Based Linux Support
http://www.paysonlinux.org/

Business Consulting Services,
Advanced Network and Server Design,
Security Solutions,
Process Management and Efficiency Consultations

      _   _____   ______  ___   ___   ______
     | | | ____| / _____| | |   | |  / _____|
  _  | | |  ___| \____  \ | |   | |  \____  \
  \___/  |_____| |_____/  |_______|  |_____/

That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus,
and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him
from the dead, thou shalt be saved.
          < Romans 10:9 KJV >