Video Cards

Nathan England nathan at paysonlinux.org
Tue Dec 5 00:08:13 MST 2006

Thank you very much. I appreciate that. In all reality, we will only use the
Intel chipsets as the 2D/3D is pretty decent and I only want to show that
Linux/X/KDE is capable of the same eye candy that Vista is.

And even that I don't need to do, because the linux boxes now are the only
ones that don't have problems. I just want to play with the eye candy and
show it off a bit.

nathan

On Tuesday 14 November 2006 21:31, Joseph Sinclair wrote:
> Just so someone here answers the original question:
>
> 1) The Radeon X600SE has good 2D support and limited 3D support in the GPL
> driver 2) The ATI proprietary drivers do not yet support the GLX extension
> (and hence don't support AIGLX).
>
> Short test:
> 1) install Ubuntu 6.10, and apt-get install driconf xdriinfo
> 2) run driconf to see if it detects DRI support in your card, if it does
> then you might get Beryl working (but it won't be particularly stable,
> practice any demo before showing it to the bosses).
>
> If you MUST have the eye-candy on that machine and the above test is
> negative, you can install the fglrx driver and layer XGL above X and get
> Compiz on that.  It's a little more work, and not as fast, but it might
> work if the GPL driver doesn't.
>
> ==Joseph++
>
> Nathan England wrote:
> > Hello All,
> >
> > I'm looking for a machine with a new video card. I haven't had much luck
> > with a few of the older Radeon based cards, and I love the nVidia cards,
> > however, the machine I am purchasing only has an ATI Radeon X600SE.
> >
> > I'm not going to play games, and this is a Linux only box, however, I
> > would like to play with AIGLX and all the new fancy eye candy.
> >
> > How do you like the performance of the newish ATI cards and how well do
> > they work? The ones I've used recently just seemed really flaky,
> > especially compared to the nVidia cards and my personal favorite the
> > Intel i915 based cards.
> >
> > Any information you can offer will be greatly appreciated. I'm not going
> > to impress anyone with the gaming ability of this machine, but the eye
> > candy will convince upper management that Linux will be better suited in
> > the future than XP... lol
> > It's funny how the eye candy wins things out like this...
> >
> > nathan

PaysonLinux User Group
Community Based Linux Support
http://www.paysonlinux.org/

Business Consulting Services,
Advanced Network and Server Design,
Security Solutions,
Process Management and Efficiency Consultations

      _   _____   ______  ___   ___   ______
     | | | ____| / _____| | |   | |  / _____|
  _  | | |  ___| \____  \ | |   | |  \____  \
  \___/  |_____| |_____/  |_______|  |_____/

That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus,
and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him
from the dead, thou shalt be saved.
          < Romans 10:9 KJV >