strange erratic behavior

Josef Lowder joe at actionline.com
Mon Dec 4 22:28:11 MST 2006

.
My Mandriva 2006 system, which has been very stable for several months,
just started to have a very strange, erratic behavior.  I have not made
any changes, and have not installed anything new recently.

When I move the mouse pointer over any one of the four desktop boxes
on the status line, the system just goes crazy flashing each of the
different desktop wallpaper images.

When I move the mouse pointer over the start button, the start menu
flashes on the screen and disappears, therefore I cannot do anything
from the start menu.

I was able to shutdown and restart by switching to a different console,
but after rebooting, the problem remains the same.

When I open a terminal window inside the GUI, I can enter commands
as long as the result does not exceed the size of the window, but if
it does, as in a directory listing with more than 20 lines then the
display goes crazy scrolling over and over without stopping, so I have
to kill the window to get it to stop.

I tried changing batteries in the wireless mouse but that didn't help.

What in the world might be causing this and how can I fix it?