OT: Looking for older SDRAM memory

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Mon Dec 4 18:14:24 MST 2006

On Mon, 2006-12-04 at 10:44 -0800, Stephen wrote:
> I'm looking to add more memory to an older machine.
> I've got 3 sticks of 128MB 100Mhz SDRAM in it right now. I'd like to
> pull one of those for another system, and put in a 256 or 512MB stick.
> I've found them on Amazon.com for $20 and $50 respectively.
>
> Does anyone have some sticks of 100 or 133 MHz SDRAM they are willing
> to sell: $15 for 256MB or $35 for 512MB?
----
There are motherboards/BIOS that won't recognize the extra banks of RAM on some of the SDRAM sticks. You can pretty much be certain that if the motherboard takes PC100 SDRAM, that 128 MB will work properly, less certainty that it will recognize all 256MB and even less certainty that it will recognize 512MB. I don't recall any 512MB PC100 modules so they would likely have to be PC133 and in a motherboard that specs PC100, it's not likely to use more than 256 if it works at all.

Craig