Challenging and expensive weekend

Robert N. Eaton Motheaton28 at aol.com
Mon Dec 4 12:45:06 MST 2006

Last Thursday night, before putting my computer to bed, things worked
ok. I checked my email and played a coupe of rounds of Solitaire.
Friday morning, however, the monitor wouldn't turn on. I tried the
on/off switch, I unplugged and replugged the power cord, both at the
power strip, and at the back of the monitor. Nothing. The old monitor,
an Iiyama Vision Master Pro 400 (17 Inch) wasn't there any more. Oh.
four letter word!

I went to Fry's and purchased a View Sonic VA2012wb. It kept complaining
that it should be at 1680X1050 resolution for best results. My original
video card, I forget who made it, but it was basically an NVidia 128 mb
AGP, couldn't drive it to that resolution in either WinXP or Linux. I
returned to Fry's and brought back an ATI Radeon  1300 series which I
spent the rest of Friday trying to find and install drivers to make
work. No joy.

Saturday I returned the ATI card for a GeForce 6600oc, an NVidia AGP
256mb card. It plays much better with Linux (though not perfectly.)  In
WinXP the card drives the monitor to its native resolution. I find,
however, that I have to "play turtle," that is to say, I have to crane
my neck out, and peer nearsightedly at the screen.  Uncomfortable, after
a bit. Other resolutions seem to give slightly elliptical circles, and
squares become rectangles (yes, yes, I know squares are rectangles, but
they become stretched or compressed, so you know what I mean.)

I assume that the card is using is using the generic nv driver.  How can
I check on that. Would another driver give me a better solution to the
aspect ratio problem? If so, where would I obtain it, and how does one
install a new video driver?

Cheers,

Bob Eaton

P.S. This morning, I took the Iiyama monitor to my favorite computer
geek, and the @#$%^& thing worked perfectly. More, and more colorful,
four letter words.

I now have some things to contribute to the Linux community: A
reasonably good generic NVidia card, a DLink ethernet card, a Motorola
Surfboard sb5120 cable modem (with power source),and a Trendnet
TW100-BRF114U firewall router and print server (also with power
source).  These I will donate.  The monitor, however, for which I no
longer have house room, goes to the highest bidder. Contact me privately
if interested.

RNE