stopping services from loading

Michael Havens bmike101 at cox.net
Mon Dec 4 11:49:01 MST 2006

well, just killing samba and bluetooth frees about 700KB
top says total memory is 385264KB and that of that 10042KB is free with
those afore mentioned services stopped.

as for running chkconfig it isn't on the system. I tried to apt-get it but
the computer said the program was probably obsolete and that there was no
instalation canidate.

As for the PCMCIA card I have a USB drive and a USB multicard
reader/writer; does either of those count?

On Mon, 04 Dec 2006 11:16:27 -0700, Kenneth <madhse at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I doubt having these running is affecting your performance, unless you
> have
> very little memory to work with.  As someone else said, chkconfig is a
> command-line utility to manipulate this stuff if it exists on your
> system,
> and many distros include a graphical utility to check and uncheck
> services.
>
> --- Michael Havens <bmike101 at cox.net> wrote:
>
>> I was watching bootup and it seems I have a bunch of unnecessary
>> services
>> starting at boot.
>> - PCMCIA
>> - RAID
>> - hcid
>> - sdpd
>> - SAMBA
>> - HP Linux Printing and Imaging
>> I'm not wireless (PCMCIA), I'm not backing up across multiple drives
>> (RAID), I don't need BLUETOOTH (hcid/sdpd), and I'm not connected with a
>> Windows box, neither do I have a  an HP Printer/Scanner.
>>
>> Am I correct in what I think these services do? Which file do I need to
>> comment these entries out of. Perhaps this is what is slowing things
>> down.
>>
>> What do you think?
>> --
>> :~)MIKE(~: