stopping services from loading

Dazed_75 lthielster at gmail.com
Mon Dec 4 10:56:15 MST 2006

pcmcia is the original? name for those credit card sized peripherals
designed for additions to laptops.  I believe the more modern name is
cardbus.  No idea why anyone thought it was better to change the name.

I think if you check you will find those services are stopped and if their
memory was needed they would be swapped out.  That means they have near, but
not, zero impact on your system.

LVM is used by default on newer ubuntu installs if you let it automate
partitioning though I do not know why or what impact it has.

OTOH, you have experimented a lot with the software on that system.  It may
be that your gradual slowdown is related to some of that.  It may also be
that some of the newer software is more bloated than the old so there is a
bit less available resource to play with.  But take this paragraph with a
grain of salt as it is no more than speculation.

On 12/4/06, Michael Havens <bmike101 at cox.net> wrote:

> OHHHHHHHH..... pcmcia are cards.  DO you mean PCI cards or memory cards? I
> truly appreciate your help./ Will issuing these commands also prevent them
> from starting at boot?
>
> On Mon, 04 Dec 2006 10:08:08 -0700, Daniel Parraz <daniyel95 at yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
> > If you dont have any pcmcia cards to hotplug or detect, pcmcia can be
> > taken out. Software RAID can prolly be disabled, as you said you don't
> > use any kind of linear or mirroring of drives on this system. Hcid and
> > sdpd are bluetooth, and since you don't have it, and Samba since your
> > not using SMB file sharing, and HP printer support, can all be disabled
> > from what you stated of your environment.
> >
> > Lvm is linux volume management, I can assume it's not being used on your
> > system, but I would prolly take a look at the docs before I shut it off.
> >
> > http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/LVM-HOWTO/lvm2faq.html#AEN279
> >
> > Otherwise, i usually use this to manipulate service startup, or if your
> > using a RH distro, there is a menu system on cmd line called 'ntsysv':
> >

> > [root at router ~]# chkconfig --level 345 mysqld off
> > [root at router ~]# chkconfig --list|grep mysql
> > mysqld          0:off   1:off   2:off   3:off   4:off   5:off   6:off
> >
> > [root at router ~]# chkconfig --level 345 mysqld on
> > [root at router ~]# chkconfig --list|grep mysql
> > mysqld          0:off   1:off   2:off   3:on    4:on    5:on    6:off
> >

> > Depending on your run level, which i will assume is not 3, but prolly 5
> > since your running a gui, these should suffice for shutting off these
> > services. Hope this helped.
> >
> > Daniel Parraz
> >
> > Michael Havens <bmike101 at cox.net> wrote: I was watching bootup and it
> > seems I have a bunch of unnecessary services
> > starting at boot.
> > - PCMCIA
> > - RAID
> > - hcid
> > - sdpd
> > - SAMBA
> > - HP Linux Printing and Imaging
> > I'm not wireless (PCMCIA), I'm not backing up across multiple drives
> > (RAID), I don't need BLUETOOTH (hcid/sdpd), and I'm not connected with a
> > Windows box, neither do I have a  an HP Printer/Scanner.
> >
> > Am I correct in what I think these services do? Which file do I need to
> > comment these entries out of. Perhaps this is what is slowing things
> > down.
> > What do you think?
>

> --
> :~)MIKE(~:

and those who matter don't mind.  - Dr. Seuss