True surge protector

keith smith klsmith2020 at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 4 10:21:11 MST 2006

Thanks,

There is much more to this than meets the eye...........

For instance, look at this model :

http://www.tripplite.com/products/product.cfm?productID=3065

This pages says: UPS offers complete protection for PCs....

then later says:  350VA/180W power handling ability supports a variety of PCs, workstations and other sensitive electronics

So now I'm confused.  I don't think there are any 180 watt PS's out ther running computers.

If amps = watts/volts & if VA = volts * amps then watts = VA right?

Keith

Shawn Badger <sbadger at cskauto.com> wrote: I personally prefer MGE Pulsar Evolution ups's http://www.mgeups.com and
the sizing will depend on how much run time you would like without
power. I would say for the machine here I would get at least the 800 VA
but you could get away with a 500 VA.

On Mon, 2006-12-04 at 08:11 -0800, keith smith wrote:
> any recommendations aon a manufacture or model?
>
> 2.8Ghtz intel / 160Gb HD / DVD reader writer / 17 inch flat panel.
>
> Not sure how big the power supply is, I'm guessing about 350Watt.
>
> Thanks,
> Keith
>
> Shawn Badger  wrote:
>         I would use a true online UPS. This will totally isolate you
>         from the
>         incoming power and keep you running during brief power
>         outages.
>

>         On Mon, 2006-12-04 at 08:01 -0800, keith smith wrote:
>         > Hi Everyone,
>         >
>         > I've been using this Isobar 4
>         >
>         > http://www.tripplite.com/products/product.cfm?productID=100
>         >
>         > for about 13 years and it has given me good service.
>         >
>         > I've been looking at surge protectors and from what I see
>         there is two
>         > classes.
>         >
>         > 1) uses a capacitor to collect the surges and when full does
>         not
>         > protect against surges and becomes an extension cord.
>         >
>         > 2) actually runs the surge to ground.
>         >
>         > I've had very good luck over the past 20 years in that I've
>         only lost
>         > 2 video cards. And I've had a bunch of systems - maybe 9 or
>         10. (I
>         > always try to have a small network.) So I think I've been
>         fortunate.
>         > I attribute most of that to the Isobar.
>         >
>         > I am receiving a new dev box today and want to protect it.
>         The
>         > monsoons will be upon us in 7 or 8 months and I want to be
>         able to
>         > leave my dev box on 24/7 w/o worrying.
>         >
>         > Insight and suggestion much appreciated,
>         > Keith
>         >
>         >
>         >