True surge protector

keith smith klsmith2020 at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 4 09:01:43 MST 2006

Hi Everyone,

I've been using this Isobar 4

http://www.tripplite.com/products/product.cfm?productID=100

for about 13 years and it has given me good service.

I've been looking at surge protectors and from what I see there is two classes.

1) uses a capacitor to collect the surges and when full does not protect against surges and becomes an extension cord.

2) actually runs the surge to ground.

I've had very good luck over the past 20 years in that I've only lost 2 video cards.  And I've had a bunch of systems - maybe 9 or 10.  (I always try to have a small network.) So I think I've been fortunate.  I attribute most of that to the Isobar.

I am receiving a new dev box today and want to protect it.  The monsoons will be upon us in 7 or 8 months and I want to be able to leave my dev box on 24/7 w/o worrying.

Insight and suggestion much appreciated,
Keith

Keith Smith
http://travelingcheese.com/search_engine/increase-search-engine-traffic.html