Hi

Alan Dayley alandd at consultpros.com
Sun Dec 3 22:17:11 MST 2006

Andrew Harris wrote:
> I am interested in joining this Linux User Group. I think that this
> would be a nice group for me to get involved in. But I do have some
> questions.

You subscribed and sent and email.  Which means you have joined and are in!

> 1. Is there food?

when someone brings some.  On occasion we have sponsors/presenters who
feed us, which is great!  But that is not the norm.  In most cases you
are welcome to bring your own food and there is generally a group that
goes to get food after the meeting, which all are welcome to join.

It just so happens that the East Side Meeting this month, Thursday the
14th, will include our traditional end of the year party.  Everyone is
encouraged to bring food to share.  If you aren't bringing food, come
anyway.  There is usually plenty to go around!

> 2. When and where are the meetings?

Our website is currently without a calendar (blame me).  However, the
meetings, with directions to locations, are described in the website
FAQ.  Start there for info about the meetings:

http://plug.phoenix.az.us/index.php?option=com_content&task=category&sectionid=3&id=30&Itemid=25

> 3. Should I bring my laptop?

If you want.  The goal is to have Internet access at every meeting,
which we usually accomplish.  Sometimes power is more difficult than
getting networked!  The East Side (sometimes) and West Side (usually)
are in computer lab rooms with lots of computers.  So lots of times the
presentation will involve everyone using one of those computers.

I like to bring my laptop but don't always use it.

> 4. What are the Install-Fests?

http://plug.phoenix.az.us/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=22&Itemid=25

People bring their computer down to get Linux installation help from
group volunteers.

> 5. Do I have to get on some kind of list or anything?

Um... You are on this one and that is good enough!  We currently have no
membership lists or dues or what have you.  Just participate and you are in.

> 6. Can you guys provide help with technical problems?

Absolutely!  Check the email list archive to see past threads:

http://lists.plug.phoenix.az.us/lurker/splash/index.html

Lots of smart and helpful people around here!

> 7. Should I bring anything?

Food.  No, really, bring what you like to the meeting that will help you
get the most out of it.  We also like it when people bring stuff to give
away as door prizes.  Sometimes what you think is junk someone else will
be very happy to win.  Though, nothing is required, just your
willingness to learn and participate.

> Thank you very much. I wanted to join a LUG, and this was the first one
> that I stumbled upon. You guys have really high Google rankings...

Our email list is fairly active and the online archive helps with lots
of hits.  We are glad you found us!

> Oh, and I have a website. www.supertunaman.com
> <http://www.supertunaman.com>. It sucks, but some (about two) people
> find it entertaining...

Heh.  I'll have to look around when I am not about to fall asleep!

Welcome to PLUG!

Alan