XSL/XML and XSLT and/or Docbook

Craig White craig at tobyhouse.com
Fri Dec 1 15:39:39 MST 2006

On Fri, 2006-12-01 at 13:08 -0700, Jeff Garland wrote:
> Craig White wrote:

> I was thinking you might be able to convert to Open Office 2 as it has both
> xhtml and pdf export.  Just trying it before I said it in public, though, I
> notice that my version seg faults on xhtml output...ymmmv.  But in any case
> the storage for open office is xml so in theory you could write your own
> backend if need be.
----
OOo 2.0.4 (is what I am using) outputs not only xhtml, pdf, it's odt
format which is a form of xml it also outputs docbook.xml too. I've been
playing with them all week.

As for your seg-fault, I have found that some of these things only work
if you install Sun Java - and use OOo options to indicate that I want to
use Sun's version, which I have done. Until then, saving in various xml
formats didn't work well.

There is a bunch of cruft to sift through from any of these save formats
which makes OOo an unlikely candidate for very non-technical staff
maintaining the raw documents and a solution that has me doing 100% of
the changes in raw xml with Bluefish et. al is a non-starter. Thus, it
almost appears that I am locked into either using a web based tool to
drop the file segments into and edit when necessary which then outputs
the xml or forgetting all this and just hanging with word processors and
simply fighting our way through the fog.

Craig