[OT] wanted: (pre-owned?) laptop

Mike Schwartz mike.l.schwartz at gmail.com
Wed Aug 30 09:44:55 MST 2006

On 8/17/06, Darrin Chandler <dwchandler at stilyagin.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 17, 2006 at 08:26:47PM -0700, Mike Schwartz wrote:
> > I am interested in buying a laptop PC,
> > up to 3, 4 years old (maybe younger);
> > as long as it has a
> > working wifi,
> > [mozilla] browser,
> > and typical stuff such as
> > a charger for the battery,
> > a USB port,
> > and a CD or DVD drive.
> > Is that too much to ask?
> > How much should I expect to pay?
> > If I am not in a hurry, is it better
> > to buy it over the net ("mail order"?).
> > I will probably pay by credit card.
> > ...it's needed to be able to access
> > (web-based) e-mail when out of town.
>
> RedSeven does this kind of thing, and I think they do it pretty well.
>
> And there's always eBay. ;)
>
> --
> Darrin Chandler            |  Phoenix BSD Users Group
> dwchandler at stilyagin.com   |  http://bsd.phoenix.az.us/
> http://www.stilyagin.com/  |

Darrin Chandler,
Your reply [above] was the first one
(lightning fast; - within minutes),
and IMO one of the best.
I decided to try RedSeven partly because
of the impresssion I got of that co., from
attending the Aug. "West Side" PLUG meeting.
I went to the 1645 E Camelback store Monday.
They referred me to their Mesa "Outlet" store.
I called there on Tues., [Aug. 29] and went
there Tues evening to order it.
Their enthusiasm for gnu/Linux, and help/support
(potentially) for PLUG, were among the factors
I considered - along with the IBM brand name
on the hardware, and the price seemed
reasonable - especially considering what those
IBM ThinkPad T22 's used to go for, "new".
--
Mike Schwartz
Glendale  AZ
schwartz at acm.org