gnash

Robert N. Eaton moth28 at cox.net
Tue Aug 29 09:02:08 MST 2006

Because I can't get my installed flash player to play nicely with
Firefox, I thought I would try gnash-0.7.1.  After I untarred and
unzipped it, I invoked ./configure, and got

<snip>

checking for C++ compiler default output file name... configure: error:
C++ compiler cannot create executables
See `config.log' for more details.

I opened `config.log' and found, among other things...

PATH: /usr/local/bin
PATH: /usr/bin
PATH: /bin
PATH: /usr/bin/X11
PATH: /usr/games

and...

configure:2689: checking for c++
configure:2718: result: no

I did a locate search for  c++ and found...

/usr/bin/c++filt
/usr/include/c++
/usr/include/c++/3.3

Since there were a lot of entries in /usr/include/c++, I concluded that
it was indeed installed (correct me if I'm wrong.)  If it is installed
there, how do I install /usr/include in the PATH statement? Or should I
mv or cp the c++ directory to, say, /usr/local/bin? Or should I merely
ln -s the two directories???

Help.

Bob Eaton