Web page capture util

der.hans PLUGd at LuftHans.com
Mon Aug 28 14:51:51 MST 2006

Am 28. Aug, 2006 schwätzte alex at crackpot.org so:

> Quoting Shawn Badger <sbadger at cskauto.com>:
>
>> Does anyone know of a CLI app that can capture a web page to a jpg or
>> better a pdf? I need to capture a dynamic page on daily basis and e-mail
>> the captured image to various people. I have tried using wget, but it
>> saves some weird results. I suspect that is because the page I am
>> polling is generated with PHP.
>>
>> Any ideas would be appreciated.
>
> wget downloads/saves the source text of the page, so if you want a jpg or
> pdf, I don't think that will help you.
>
> This app is web-based, not CLI, but it might be worth looking at :
> http://bluga.net/webthumb/index.php

Josh is here in town ( one of the people behind AzPHP ), so maybe you can
convince him to let you use it on your company's intranet.

Also, there are some extensions for Firefox that will run scripts. Maybe
you could setup Firefox to pull up the page and save it to PDF. A script
run from cron could then poll for new files to mail out.

PrefBar is the extension I can think of off the top of my head. Not
available from the Firefox website, but still worth looking into.

Is there a command line option to Firefox to save a URL to PDF?

ciao,

der.hans
#  Join the League of Professional System Administrators! https://LOPSA.org/
#  C'est la Net - der.hans