palm device

der.hans PLUGd at LuftHans.com
Sun Aug 27 01:55:27 MST 2006

Am 23. Aug, 2006 schwätzte Empty so:

> der.hans wrote:
>> I plugged it into my USB port. When I hit the onscreen hotsync button
>> /dev/palm comes up ( a link to /dev/ttyUSB1 ).
>>
>> I've got kpilot[0] claiming 'Device link ready', but then it asks me to
>> hit the hotsync button. Since it's already in hotsync mode just to get to
>> that point I have no hotsync button to press.

One of the problems was gpilotd not relinquishing the device.

> I have my Treo syncing to JPilot over IRDA, but I previously got it
> working under USB as well. The trick seems to be making sure your user
> has write access to the device file, and hitting sync on your device a
> second or so before hitting it on your computer, so as to create the
> device before the application tries to open it. I am unclear from the
> preceeding if that is what you are attempting.

It turns out I was mostly having problems due to not understanding PalmOS.
When I would plug it in, it went to the hotsync menu and had a button for
syncing. Well, I need to go to the main menu, then start pilot-xfer ( via
command line or via kpilot ), then hit the hotsync button in the main menu
and then the hotsync button in the hotsync menu.

pilot-xfer requires the device be available before hitting those hotsync
buttons. udev doesn't make them available :(. So, I started a sync from
the palm to get the devices loaded, then copied /dev/ttyUSB1 into her home
dir ( cp -a /dev/ttyUSB1 myDevs/ttyUSB1 ) and now I point pilot-xfer and
kpilot at the local copy.

> Bear in mind that(IIRC) some of gnome-pilots stuff daemonizes and won't
> do this properly.

Yeah, I wanted to use gpilot, but kpilot seems to be working. Time will
tell if it's working out :).

I got an initial sync, then added someone to kaddressbook and synced and
the new person showed up on the palm. I then added someone on the palm and
synced and the new person showed up in kaddressbook.

Still need to research other apps.

danke,

der.hans
#  Join the League of Professional System Administrators! https://LOPSA.org/
#  "I interviewed Jonathan Winters once in the late '80s, it was as if he were
#  narrating a hallucination that I didn't see." -- Terry Gross, 03Aug2006