X-Terminal over SSH Woes

Dazed_75 lthielster at gmail.com
Fri Aug 25 15:20:19 MST 2006

OT for this thread, but I wanted to say to Mark that I always find my own
posts to the discussion list never seem to appear to me untill someone
replaies to them.  I have frequently questioned whether I was doing
something wrong or what.  Perhaps it is something about the email client or
perhaps it is some dubious "feature" of the list.  Wish I knew, because it
is troubling when you are not sure if your post was ever received.

On 8/25/06, Mark Phillips <mark at phillipsmarketing.biz> wrote:

> Thanks to everyone for their advice. I solved the problem by
> editing the  /etc/ssh/sshd_conf file to enable X11Forwading. I had only
> edited /etc/ssh/ssh_config.
>
> It now works!
>
> Thanks again!
>
> Mark
>
> P.S. I posted a thank-you last night, but for some reason it did not
> appear on
> the list this morning, so I am posting again. (8/23)
>
> P.P.S I went back to my SSH book, and it did say ssh*D*_conf was the file
> edit. I guess I need to get some new glasses or read a little slower!;-)
>
> P.P.P.S My postings seem to be dying before they get to the list, so I
> will
> try one more time. (8/25)
>
> Cheers!
>
> Mark
>
> On Thursday 24 August 2006 04:53 am, der.hans wrote:
> > Am 23. Aug, 2006 schwätzte Mark Phillips so:
> >
> > > I cannot figure out what is wrong. Everything I have read on the net
> and
> in
> > > O'Rreilly's SSH book say I am doing it right, but it doesn't work!
> > >
> > > Machine - monkey
> > > Debian stable
> > > /etc/ssh/ssh_config has
> > >   ForwardX11 yes
> > >   ForwardX11Trusted no
> >
> > debian defaults to ForwardX11Trusted set to yes.
> >
> > > Machine - stingray
> > > Debian stable
> > > kde desktop is running
> > > /etc/ssh/ssh_config has
> > >   ForwardX11 yes
> > >   ForwardX11Trusted no
> > >
> > > I can ssh from monkey to stingray (and vice versa)
> > >
> > > When I try ssh -X stingray from monkey, I get Error: Can't open
> display.
> > >
> > > In debug mode, I see the following:
> > > debug1: Authentication succeeded (keyboard-interactive).
> > > debug1: channel 0: new [client-session]
> > > debug1: Entering interactive session.
> > > debug1: Requesting X11 forwarding with authentication spoofing.
> > > Linux stingray 2.6.8-2-386 #1 Tue Aug 16 12:46:35 UTC 2005 i686
> GNU/Linux
> > >
> > > mark at stingray:~$ echo $DISPLAY
> >
> > stingray is the remote host in this situation, correct?
> >
> > What do you have for DISPLAY on the localhost?
> >
> > Let us see the following scenerio:
> >
> > local:$ echo $DISPLAY
> > :0.0
> > local:$ ssh -X remote
> > you at remote's password:
> > .
> > .
> > remote:$ echo $DISPLAY
> > localhost:10.0
> >
> > > mark at stingray:~$ xeyes
> > > Error: Can't open display:
> >
> > Yup, not having DISPLAY set will do that to you :).
> >
> > ciao,
> >
> > der.hans
> >
> > > mark at stingray:~$ exit
> > > debug1: client_input_channel_req: channel 0 rtype exit-status reply 0
> > > logout
> > > debug1: channel 0: free: client-session, nchannels 1
> [...]

and those who matter don't mind.  - Dr. Seuss