X-Terminal Question

Mark Phillips mark at phillipsmarketing.biz
Fri Aug 25 12:34:01 MST 2006

What determines the desktop that the user sees when he/she logs in from a
remote terminal? Is it a parameter in a file on the server? On the
X-terminal? In an vault on the Klingon home world?

Here is the problem:

1. When I log into the server I get a kde desktop that I have configured.

2. When I use "X -query <server-name>" from a remote X-terminal to the same
server, I get my usual KDE desktop on the X-terminal.

3. When I use a script called S-Terminal that uses ssh tunneling from the same
X-terminal to the same account on the same server I get a Gnome desktop.

In all three cases, I am using the same login name and password.

Information on S-Terminal can be found at
http://www.ma.utexas.edu/users/stirling/computergeek/xterminal.html (the hack
I am using) and
http://ayesha.phys.virginia.edu/~bryan/projects/knoppix/sterminal/.

Before I get flamed, I am not asking anyone to debug the S-Terminal scripts. I
provided the links as an FYI.

The nature of my question is to get some hints for what I should be looking
for in the S-terminal script to find out why I get a gnome desktop instead of
my usual KDE desktop. So far, I have not found anything obvious looking for
words like "desktop", "gnome", etc. in the script. I have contacted the
authors, but no response as of yet.

Thanks!
--
Mark Phillips