How to determine which kernel is booted?

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Fri Aug 25 10:11:25 MST 2006

I am certain that I have fried most of the relevant brain cells already
but I always seem to remember the '--help' option. Did you actually
think that I remembered which switch?

# uname --help
Usage: uname [OPTION]...
Print certain system information.  With no OPTION, same as -s.

  -a, --all                print all information, in the following
order:
  -s, --kernel-name        print the kernel name
  -n, --nodename           print the network node hostname
  -r, --kernel-release     print the kernel release
  -v, --kernel-version     print the kernel version
  -m, --machine            print the machine hardware name
  -p, --processor          print the processor type
  -i, --hardware-platform  print the hardware platform
  -o, --operating-system   print the operating system
      --help     display this help and exit
      --version  output version information and exit

Craig