How to start cups?

KE7FEG eculbert at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 24 22:56:45 MST 2006

How about my burning an ancient Knoppix that DOES work cups, a 3.4 cdrom version? You are picking me up saturday anyway and no problem. I will verify it works here so it should print right IF your printer is cups capable.

Below is what I started as an email, then realized it was YOU that was asking, so I make the above offer IF I still have a working copy live 3.4 or whatever model knoppix does print.

I think, when I used to be very into knoppix live cd's, I saw something that in order to accomodate the swelling kernel and other programs...word being one, that some of the 'older and less utilized' hardware would be dropped out of the pile of driver stuff to fit onto a cdrom's capacity.

 This was about 3 years ago when 3.2 or 3.3 hit the streets. Since then, they have tried to put frequently requested stuff on and 'weed out' even relatively smaller files of less utilized stuff like old printers. I truly believe that is why at least w/knoppix, I can no longer print from a live cd.

 I wish live cd author's would make available different versions. By different, I mean one that is for NON network/professional types that dont have all the 300 mb of junk on them (to me) and more games and device drivers so they work with printers, cd's, video cards, etc and not have 'serious' hardcore programmers stuff. Then have the demo cd's that target the 'computer professionals' w/ all the never used, by me, stuff.

joe at actionline.com wrote: .
How does one start 'cups'?

I am booted with a live cd that has cups installed,
but apparently not running.  Searching the 'net,
I've not been able to find how to start it so I can
print with the live cd.

Ed Culbertson/ke7feg
Remember Katrina?
For several days, only hams could get out,
and talk to others dependably.

No Morse Code required for Technician class licensee's. Interested? http://www.arrl.org/

Long live Knoppix, and Puppy Live Linux cd's.