PCI or USB device to add wireless to a desktop machine?

A LeDonne aledonne.listmail at gmail.com
Tue Aug 22 10:02:21 MST 2006

On 8/21/06, Dazed_75 <lthielster at gmail.com> wrote:
> It seems the PCI devices all have the antenna attached to the rear plate of
> the PCI card which seems a terrible place for an antenna interference,
> blockage and breakage wise.  The USB adapter type which generally looks like
> a jump drive usually includes a cable so you can place the unit to improve
> reception/transmission probably have a less effective antenna.
>
> Does anyone have experience using both that could provide insight which is
> better and why?

I'll highlight a 3d option: a wired-to-wireless ethernet bridge.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16833162168
That's the Buffalo WLI-TX4-G54HP - I've also seen it on the shelf at a
Best Buy. In some installations it may be your best option for several
reasons:

1/ Highly flexible placement. USB max cable run is ~15'. With this
device, your computer is connecting via wired ethernet to the bridge,
for which a max cable run is much longer.

2/ No driver headaches. Uses your existing wired nic - no worries
about the state of development of the driver for the chipset of the
revision of the make and model that you purchased.

3/ Hook up multiple devices. This one includes an integrated 4-port switch.

It's better AND cheaper than the "wireless gaming adapters" I've seen.
Better signal pickup than the Belkin USB adapter I've worked with.
Never used a PCI wireless card.

The obvious caveat is that this is an AC-powered device, but it should
work well for a desktop or multi-desktop situation.

-A